Pumpkin is considered one of the 10 most popular cupcake flavors according to http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/food-facts/10-most-popular-cupcake-flavors.htm and perfect for fall.
Pumpkin Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C). Place rack in the middle of the oven. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners or spray each cup with a non-stick vegetable spray.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground spices, and salt.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and pumpkin puree, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Fill the muffin cups evenly with the batter using two spoons or an ice cream scoop. Pla
- Cream Cheese Frosting: In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the butter and beat until incorporated and smooth. Add the vanilla extract and confectioners sugar and beat until fluffy (2-3 minutes). Pipe or spread the frosting on the cupcakes. Sprinkle with toasted and chopped nuts or English Toffee Bits.
- To toast nuts: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place rack in the center of the oven. Place the nuts on a baking sheet and bake for about 8 - 10 minutes or until brown and fragrant. Cool completely and then chop coarsely.
Makes about 12 regular-sized cupcakes.
Recipe Credits: Betty Crocker